Friday, February 23, 2007

there was a man who was an alcoholic. he had two sons and he spent his life drinking himself away, and embarasing his family.

one son grew up to be an alcoholic, drinking away his money and shaming his family. his wife left him and his children hated him.

the other son grew up to be a doctor with a steady career, a devoted wife and a loving family.

when the first son was asked "why are you like this? what made you this way?", he said "my dad was an alcoholic, what else could i do?"

when the other son was asked "why are you like this? what make you who you are?" he said
"my father was an alcoholic, what else could i do?"

9 comments:

Toby said...

Very profound.

Chicky Pea said...

I'm a firm believer that you should never blame other people for your circumstances. We all have decisions to make for ourselves and must live with the consequences. Alot of people don't prescribe to that philosophy.

hannah said...

good point, it is not our background that makes us who we are, that only prepares us for what we can make ourselves.

wallycrawler said...

OK what if your Dad was the owner of the single biggest luxury hotel chain in the world ? Would you then become a drunk , drugged up , slut and your sister become a philanthropist ?

hannah said...

no, if my dad was the owner of the biggest hotel chain, i would be a spoiled bitch, with spoiled bitch kids.

~d said...

(trying to make light: this is exactly the reason that WHEN I drank/drink I stay away from rum and Miller Lite beer. Yea.)
I had quit for 15 yrs 4 months...not a 'slip'. An 'intentional'.
(smile)

hannah said...

i had a bad problem several years ago, and quit for a long time. i figured i would try it again at college, but after a few nights in a row of dealing with horrible drunks, i am done again.

tshsmom said...

Ain't THAT the truth!
I've seen this happen many times.

I used to bartend in my 20s. I couldn't handle that anymore. I now have no patience with abnoxious drunks!

Anonymous said...

If chicky pea believes that others are not responsible for your circumstanses, then why are good role models considered to be important to children? Don't you just magically learn to care about others as you approach legal adulthood?